Weekly Menu Plan – Week of April 4

Welcome to my very first massive weekly menu plan!

Last week, I threw out a question on my Facebook Page asking if it would be helpful to start sharing what we eat in the Kelly household and the response was overwhelming and not just for dinner time, there were requests for breakfast and lunch too.  It’s nice to know that I am not alone in my struggle to come up with healthy recipes that my family will enjoy, especially given our ever-evolving diet!

The format for my weekly menu plan will no doubt change over time as I get the hang of this, but for this first post I decided to add our daily breakfast even though we pretty much have the same thing every morning (or a slight variation of it) because I don’t have some of the classic ‘breakfast’ ingredients at my disposal (none of the GF grains or “non-grains,” like buckwheat and quinoa, or eggs).  We always have a green smoothie and homemade breakfast sausage.  I will make a huge batch of sausage patties every Sunday and then I freeze them so I can just pull a few out and quickly heat them up on busy school mornings.  I also make two pitchers of green smoothies every night before I go to bed so they are ready to go in the morning (I would likely harm myself using a sharp knife that early in the morning!).  If I happen to have a healthy refined sugar-free dessert on hand, we just might have some of that too! :-D

Just to recap for you, our current diet is free from: gluten, dairy, eggs, corn, (due to celiac and non-celiac GS, casein intolerances, an IgE egg allergy (Luke) and an IgE corn allergy (me).  I do allow my boys some of the Applegate Farms Organic Deli meats in their school lunches even though they contain dextrose (corn sugar), so be sure to double check all ingredients if you have a corn allergy.  We will also be free from the following ingredients for at least the next 3 months (due to the results of our Cyrex Labs Array #4 test results): coffee, chocolate, hemp, potatoes, rice, sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, tapioca, millet, yeast, oats and sesame.

Phew!

We’ve been doing this diet for a couple of weeks now (less a few bumps in the road when I caved and made some Tinkyada pasta and my favorite new gluten-free blueberry muffins with brown rice flour (recipe to come).  I have to admit that venturing into the world of a grain-free diet has been a difficult mind set for me adapt to, simply because I have 37 years of images in my head of what I was taught a “proper” dinner should consist of: a lean protein, a vegetable or two and a starch/grain like rice, potatoes, etc.  Thankfully, nothing gets me going like a personal challenge and I love to cook and try new things so I’m actually looking forward to this little adventure.  The first couple of weeks were pretty simple but this week, I am venturing out to try some brand new (to me) recipes that I found over the weekend.  Not all of the recipes I linked to are from strictly gluten-free blogs, some are also from paleo and mainstream recipe websites.  Nor are all of the recipes I linked to free from all the foods we are now avoiding, I will be experimenting with my own substitutes along the way and will let you know of any successes. :-D

Monday:

Breakfast: Super Antioxidant Smoothie from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen, Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties from Food Renegade (I tripled the batch of sausage to last for the entire week)

My boys’ Lunch (no school today): Applegate Farms Grass-Fed Hot Dogs, Carrot Sticks with Homemade Hummus from Six Food Intolerance Living (I omit the Tahini) and Apple Slices with Justin’s Maple Almond Butter

Dinner: Cabbage Rolls from Everyday Paleo, Roasted Green Beans with Tomatoes and Parsley Pesto from Sidewalk Shoes, Salad

Dessert: Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies from Real Sustenance (I will be subbing Coconut Sugar, Sunbutter and Carob Chips)

Tuesday:

Breakfast: Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (minus the hemp seed) from Gluten Free Easily, Breakfast Sausage and leftover cookies. ;-)

My Boys’ Lunch: Yeast-Free Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili (I will omit the corn and freeze the leftovers for next week) from Yeast Free Living, Homemade Almond Crackers from Caveman Food (I use one chia “egg” in place of the egg white and it works GREAT!  I will make a ton of these for the boy’s to snack on all week), Fresh Fruit Salad with Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries and Blackberries

Dinner: Zucchini/Yellow Squash “Spaghetti” with Meatballs (using Almond Flour and Chia “Eggs” for the binder in the meatballs, recipe coming soon), Salad

Dessert: Fruit Parfait with Homemade Coconut Milk Yogurt from Small Footprint Family

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Peter Rabbit Smoothie from Lexie’s Kitchen, homemade coconut milk yogurt and breakfast sausage

My Boys’ Lunch: Applegate Farms Smoked Chicken Breast Rollups, Jicama Fries from Food Medic, Ladybugs on a Log: Celery Stuffed with Sunbutter and topped with Dried Cranberries (Eden Foods makes some that are sweetened with apple juice instead of sugar).

Dinner: Salmon with Herb Mustard Sauce from Whole Living and Emeril’s Oven Roasted Green Beans with Pecans from Green Planet

Dessert: Carob-Banana Bars from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen (this will be a first time experiment using chia “eggs” instead of the real deal, fingers crossed!).

Thursday:

Breakfast: Cherry Smoothie from The W.H.O.L.E. Gang, breakfast sausage and Raw Cinnamon Toast from The Mommy Bowl

My Boys’ Lunch: Hearty, Healthy Slow Cooker Soup from Glugle Gluten Free, Applegate Farms Genoa Salami Rollups, Apple Slices with Peanut Butter Fruit Dip (I’ll be using Sunbutter and Homemade Whipped Cashew Cream) from The Gluten-Free Homemaker

Dinner: Meyer Lemon Chicken from Cook IT Allergy Free, Grilled Eggplant with Caper Vinaigrette from In Praise of Leftovers (I will be adding zucchini and yellow squash to the eggplant) and Socca (I will change up the seasonings for this particular meal) from Kalyn’s Kitchen

Dessert: Almond Date Milkshakes from She Let Them Eat Cake

Friday:

Breakfast: Healthy, Healing Fruit Smoothie from Jeanette’s Healthy Living

My Boys’ Lunch: Asian Chicken Salad from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen, Fresh Berries, Sunflower Seeds

Dinner: Lettuce-Wrapped Bison Taco Burgers (recipe coming soon), Sweet Potato Fries

Dessert: Key Lime Pie from Kelly’s (The Spunky Coconut) new cookbook, The Spunky Coconut Grain-Free Baked Goods and Desserts(the key lime pie is not only WONDERFUL, but it’s also Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Grain-Free, Egg-Free, Refined Sugar-Free!).

Saturday:

Breakfast: Green “Creamsicle” Smoothie from Daily Bites and Raw “Oat” Meal (there aren’t actually any oats in this recipe) from The Best of Raw Food

Lunch: Leftovers

Dinner: Turkey Meatloaf (using Almond Flour and Chia Eggs for the binder, recipe coming soon), Winter Slaw from Gluten Free Diva

Dessert: Strawberries with Whipped Cashew Cream from The Recipe Card

Sunday:

Breakfast: Swamp Scum Smoothie from Gluten Free For Good

Lunch: Tuna Slaw (I will use Salmon or Chicken instead of the tuna) from Celiacs in the House

Dinner: Portobello Steaks from Diet, Dessert and Dogs, Roasted Vegetable Magic (minus the potatoes) from Gluten Free Goddess

Dessert: Mango Pudding from The Sensitive Pantry

This post is linked to Menu Plan Monday over at Orgjunkie.com

Have any suggestions or recommendations for my upcoming weekly menu plans?  I would love to hear from you! :-D

• spunky coconut key lime pie (5)
  • the spunky coconut key lime cheesecake (3)
  • ACD menu planning using option 1 (1)
  • egg free dairy free key lime pie (1)
  • foods that are lactose gluten egg onion and caffeine free menu (1)
  • spunky coconut meal plan (1)
  • sustabowl recipes (1)

Comments

1. Deanna says:

Wow – you're much better than me at making a plan. I totally wing it every day. I should be better about that.

I have a baked, pear-based, nut-free version of the cinnamon toast in the oven right now. I don't think this version is working quite as well. Let me know how yours turns out!

• Uh, Deanna…this is the first menu plan that I've actually put together. Well, that's not true, I've tried it a few times before but I never actually made anything from it, LOL! I've always been a winger too, but now that we have so many more restrictions than we used to…I need a plan to save whats left of my sanity. ;-)

I will definitely give you feed back on the cinnamon toast and let me know how your new version turns out!

xo,
      Heidi

2. Ricki says:

I must tell you, that menu doesn't seem to be missing anything to me! You are meeting this challenge admirably, with delicious menus and recipes. I've done 100% grain-free on occasion as well when I think my system needs a break, and it is, indeed, challenging. But fun to find the subs that work, isn't it? :)

• Oh Ricki, you've got that right! There are few things more rewarding to me than finding ingredient subs that work!! :-D

I've been pouring through your cookbook, Sweet Freedom, which I just got and there are quite a few recipes that I am excited to try (my littlest guy has a major yeast overgrowth, not candida, it's an unspecified strain) but I'm following the candida dietary rules for him and your recipes are going to be my saving grace, thank you!

xo,
      Heidi

3. Janel says:

Wow. Thanks! I am gluten, dairy, egg and soy free and COMPLETELY stuck in a food rut. I'm glad I found your site.

• Hi Janel!

I know exactly how you feel, my friend! We had grilled chicken with steamed broccoli 4 times last week…I think my guys are planning a mutiny if I don't find some tasty new recipes, like yesterday, LOL!

Hugs!
      Heidi

4. Bridget says:

Fabulous Heidi!!!! Thank you for indulging us all with your menu plan!!!! We are in a huge rut here and I have slacked on planning menu's…no good reason though! We are on the 2nd night of grilled chicken and veggies……nobody will be happy if I do it again tomorrow night! =O

5. Jen says:

Wow, thanks so much for all the great ideas! I have been meal planning for all of the last 3 weeks and I have found it cuts down tremendously on my trips to the store and my kids constant questions about what's for dinner! They are 7 & 9 so I let them name a couple of favorites each week and I think they feel more in control (and less desperate) knowing they can count on a few stand-bys and not just hope for the best with my constant experiments. Thank you thank you for so many great new options!

6. Lexie says:

Heidi, I am so blown away! Great menu plan, you have inspired me to do the same. Or wait, maybe I will just follow yours. Seriously, this is so helpful. We need to catch up. We have Miles' tests back and have an approach. Gut bacteria is good, but the yeasties need to be tackled. We are going back on the ACD diet. So sista, I feel your restricted diet pain. But no pain, no gain : )

xoLexie

7. Laura says:

Wow! What a fantastic menu plan. Thank you for re-inspiring with such great menu ideas!

8. Patti S says:

Menu planning saves my hide so many times. Yours looks delicious. Can't wait to hear how your family receives it. You are awesome.

9. Tia says:

Very impressive, my dear. And thank you for including my soup. I hope the boys like it. Right now, we are just trying to eat up what ever we have so I have less to move. At least my new kitchen is pretty. With lots of light. I am going to get some great pictures there.

You amaze me. How do you do it all?

xo – Tia

10. Wow~ Now this is an impressive menu plan! I attempt a menu plan at the beginning of every week. I do well until about Wednesday, usually! ;) Then? the end of the week often falls apart. LOL

Excited that I made it into your menu plan though! ;) THanks so much!! Do you still have Meyer lemons around? I did not check last time I was at Whole Foods, but think we are on the tail end here.

I think you boys will halt the mutiny once they see how well they are eating this week!

xo

11. Heather says:

Dear Lord!! I would've sat down and cried with all the stuff you have to eliminate from your diet. I would've been a complete basketcase. You are truly an inspiration of what a stronger woman should be, girlfriend. I am in awe of you…seriously. THANK YOU for the menu…it gives me a good idea of where to start…what to try,etc. I have four kiddos that are gluten free..along with myself.. and am wondering what all this costs (the grass-fed meats,etc). I'm going to have to do some serious number crunching and going over these meals to see what is feesible for us. But it's nice to see a menu like this all written out to give me an idea. It must've taken you quite some time for all of it. Again..thank you and I bow to your awesomeness! lol!! ;)

12. Alta says:

I think that eliminating coffee and chocolate would make me cry – which is probably a sign that it does give me issue, since I am addicted. :-P Anyway, great menu plan! It makes me wonder if I should share mine with the blog world – I make a weekly plan, although I don't usually have breakfast and lunch quite so well-planned. Those are days when it's whatever-veggies-are-left-over smoothies, leftovers for lunch, and a few other things I buy to fill out the rest.

I HAVE to try Kelly's key lime pie. I bought a bag of key limes the other day. And these crock pot recipes sound great that you've chosen…gonna have to check them out! You might try cauliflower "rice" as a rice substitute – I like it when I want to make some sort of curry and need something to sop up that delicious sauce. Elana has instructions for it on her blog. :) Good luck in the grain-free frontier. I certainly hope this helps!

• Alta,

Believe you me, I have shed my fair share of tears over the past couple of months (especially over the coffee!). I had to slowly wean myself off of it (I had been a 1 1/2 – 2 pots a day coffee drinker, but I justified it because I drank it black, no cream or sugar…it was just flavored water as I told myself, LOL!), but even then, that first week was HORRIBLE! About halfway through the second week though, I realized that what I really just enjoy are hot beverages and the herbal teas are now doing the job just fine, without the creepy crawlies from caffeine overkill. I still love the flavor of coffee and don't plan on being off of it forever, just won't drink as much moving forward.

I think you should DEFINITELY share your menu plan Alta! You and those wonderful kiddos of yours cook up some of the coolest things, my son Sam is always asking if you've made any funny foods lately (like alligator), LOL! You've actually encouraged him to get more adventurous in his eating, he loves mussels and squid but we haven't tried any reptile yet. ;-)

I don't normally follow recipes for our morning smoothies either, I just throw in whatever I have but it's usually a green leaf something or other, some broccoli or cauliflower, chia seeds, an apple, a banana, frozen berries, a little tart cherry juice and the rest is water, easy peasy. I never used to plan lunch either, but now that I can't just grab some chips or bread for sandwiches, etc., having a plan helps me not sit there staring at the fridge for an hour every night trying to get ideas.

Thanks for the idea on the cauliflower, I will have to try that. And thanks for the well wishes…I'm really hoping the grain-free plan is not forever, but who knows, after 3 months I may have adjusted and feel too good to back to my former ways!

Hugs,
      Heidi

13. lunzy says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. We are new to GF (my son and I both have issues) and also rice and corn free. Just got back from spring break so I'm trying to figure out what to cook. meals won't seem so overwhelming to me this week :)

14. lunzy says:

p.s. no chocolate or coffee for this mama either. ;)

15. Cat says:

I am so impressed, too. I try menu plans, but they are very sketchy. I never have an actual recipe for vegetables. Typically just steam them because that's what I like the best, then sprinkle some lemon juice and salt on top. Plus, it seems like what I'm supposed to eat changes every couple of weeks, so it's always a new thing. I just bought the paleo diet book, thinking as few grains as possible would be better for me. Just found out I had a mild sensitivity to eggs and pinto and white beans (in addition to gluten, dairy and soy). Eggs were a staple! I'm bummed about that. Do you find that some allergens depend on the amount of exposure you have to them? Thanks again for posting, and please, anyone who makes a plan should post it! Even if you don't follow it, someone else might benefit from your ideas!

16. Janelle says:

Thank you for posting your meal plan!! My son is currently on a gluten, dairy, corn, soy, egg and peanut free diet. My daughter is on a dairy and almond free diet. So nice to find some new recipes! I tend to get in a food rut, this will definitely help! Thank you!!

17. How do you manage to make a diet with multiple restrictions look so interesting? Putting it together must take some lengthy research, but…wow! Your menu sounds lots more interesting than mine, which only has to be gluten-free.

Hugs –

Pat

18. Dana says:

You.are.my.hero. The pumpkin smoothie omg – yum thx you for doing this. Do not stop:-)

• Hi Dana!

I'm so happy you liked the pumpkin smoothie, I did too!

I'm actually having fun with the menu plans (and saving loads of time, money and last minute frustrations), so I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. Should you ever come across a recipe that you think is worth sharing in one of my menu plans, please email me the link: Heidi AT adventuresofaglutenfreemom DOT com

Hugs!