A couple weeks ago I struck gold when I found a recipe for homemade vegan butter on veganbaking.net. The recipe’s creator, Mattie, is brilliance personified. So brilliant in fact, I think he deserves a Nobel prize (make that a moobel prize).
In typical fashion, I had my unsuspecting taste testers try the butter (without telling them what the concoction was supposed to be), and each and everyone of them said “butter” right away. I take that as a very good sign!
I needed to make just a few minor changes in order to make the vegan butter both soy and corn-free and the following is my adaptation (along with a photo tutorial). I do recommend that you visit veganbaking.net and read Mattie’s post on how to make vegan butter, he does an excellent job of explaining the science behind the recipe (he also shares several variations, including one for Three Herbed Vegan Butter and a Vegan Banana Butter (bet that would taste good spread on warm gluten-free banana bread).
1. Set out all the players before you begin.
2. Add both coconut milks, apple cider vinegar and sea salt to a small bowl or measuring cup and allow to sit for about 10 minutes until mixture becomes a little lumpy.
3. Measure out refined coconut oil and place in a microwave safe bowl and nuke it until just melted (or heat over the stove top).
You will need liquid lecithin and I opted for Sunflower Lecithin, which I ordered online from Austrade.
This is the lecithin (above): thick, brown and sticky, it reminds me of molasses.
4. Add oils to the bowl of the food processor (I think this would also work in a blender).
5. Add curdled coconut milk.
6. Add lecithin.
7. Add guar gum (or xanthan).
8. Once all the ingredients are in the bowl of the food processor,
9. Let it rip for 2 minutes, stopping half-way through to scrape down the sides.
10. When done, it should look nice and creamy (and well emulsified) like the above photo.
11. Pour butter into silicone ice cube trays, I used my pancake batter dispenser so it wouldn’t be as messy. Freeze for at least one hour (I’ve found that freezing it overnight helps the butter pop out of the mold easier).
13. Your vegan butter is now ready to use!
Incoming search terms:
- vegan butter recipe (290)
- how to make vegan butter (183)
- how to make dairy free butter (103)
- dairy free butter recipe (62)
- homemade vegan butter (62)
- casein free butter (55)
- dairy free soy free butter (53)
- vegan butter (34)
- make vegan butter (34)
- homemade dairy free butter (28)