Hehehe…Score 2 in my new adventures of gluten-free, dairy/casein-free and egg-free baking!!
This is my submission for The Gluten-Free Baking Challenge which Shauna and Danny Ahern are hosting over at Gluten-Free Girl.com, so be sure to pay them a visit so you can see all the amazing gluten-free baked goods being shared across the web for Thanksgiving.
There has been so much to be thankful for in our gluten-free community this year and I am one very proud glutadoodle! One thing in particular that I am thankful for this year is Shauna and Danny’s amazing new cookbook, Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef: A Love Story with 100 Tempting Recipes (which I highly recommend, it is a great teaching cookbook and I’ve already bought 8 copies of it for my friends!). You can read my review of the cookbook and see a few of Shauna and Danny’s creations I’ve made here. Oh, and my pal Kim is giving away a copy over at Cook It Allergy Free (just don’t forget to come back…).
Speaking of thankfulness, I am also grateful for one of my readers who recently asked me to convert a recipe for Cinnamon Rolls she found on The Pioneer Woman website…had she not done that, this post wouldn’t even be (thanks Patti!!).
Ree Drummond, author of The Pioneer Woman is another person I am deeply appreciative of because I have successfully converted several of her recipes, including one for Gluten-Free Mozzarella Cheese Sticks. Ree has many detailed (and often hilarious) photo tutorials on her site, which makes it easy for me to gauge how well I am doing at any given step…a helpful tool for someone who is learning how to cook and bake.
After one look at Ree’s Cinnamon Roll Recipe, I jumped for joy because it is naturally egg-free. Woo-Hoo! One less obstacle to overcome and no doubt 52 steps closer to ooey, gooey, cinnamon bliss!
All that would need to be replaced now was the gluten and dairy.
NOTE: I use a particular prepackaged GF all-purpose flour blend in all of the gluten based recipes I convert. Sometimes, I just need a little simplicity and using a pre-made flour blend, that has proven itself to me over and over again, saves me a lot of time and money experimenting with different homemade blends. There is something special about Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour (thank you Naomi Poe!) and I highly suspect it has something to do with the added pectin in it…I think it does “something” to make it mimic wheat flour, at least in the dough handling aspect of it. I really cannot remember what wheat based baked goods taste like so I cannot compare it in that regard, but we absolutely love everything we’ve made with it over the past year that I’ve been buying it (you can read my original Better Batter review from last February here).
If you don’t have any Better Batter Gluten Free Flour, please don’t let that deter you from trying Ree’s recipe using your favorite GF flour blend, just be sure it contains the appropriate amount of xanthan or guar gum (and please let me know how it turns out).
So when I made Ree’s cinnamon rolls, I had no idea that the recipe would make so much dough! I made two full cake pans worth of cinnamon rolls but still had a ton of dough left, so I began thinking about what else I could make with it. This dough is actually quite versatile, not only can it be used in the way it was intended, but if you omit the second addition of sugar and the cinnamon, you can use this dough for crescent rolls, dinner rolls, Italian bread sticks, pigs-in-a-blanket (I made them all, LOL!)…just let your imagination be your guide.
Because this is not my original recipe and I cannot possibly write better instructions or do a better photo tutorial for cinnamon rolls than The Pioneer Woman, I will simply give you my adapted ingredient list here then send you over to Ree’s site for all the specific details (I followed her instructions to the tee).
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cinnamon Roll & Crescent Roll Dough
- 1 quart So Delicious Coconut Milk (I used the Original, in the red carton).
- 1 cup Vegetable Oil (I used Sunflower Oil)
- 1 cup Sugar (I used Florida Crystals)
- 2 packages Active Dry Yeast (I used Red Star)
- 8 cups (Plus 1 Cup Extra, Separated) Better Batter Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (or try your own blend, just be sure to add the xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
- Plenty Of Melted Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- 2 cups Sugar (omit for crescent rolls)
- Generous Sprinkling Of Cinnamon (omit for crescent rolls)
Visit The Pioneer Woman for the instructions and a full photo tutorial.
To assemble the crescent rolls:
I baked the crescent rolls at 375° F. for approximately 10 – 12 minutes, placing a loose sheet of foil over the rolls halfway though to prevent excessive browning.
I was really surprised at how well the crescent rolls held up over the course of a few days. A quick 30-second zap in the microwave and it was as if I had just pulled them out of the oven!
I assembled a ton of the pigs-in-a-blanket, then froze them (unbaked). All you need to do then is thaw them to room temperature and bake at 375° for approximately 15 minutes! Wellshire Farms Cocktail Franks are: gluten-free, dairy/casein-free, corn-free, nut-free, soy-free.
We will for sure be waking up to these cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning!
The following are all gluten-free recipes from some phenomenal foodies and I encourage you to visit each of their blogs, it will blow your mind!
- Andrea’s Recipes | gluten-free pumpkin scones
- Not Without Salt | gluten-free chocolate biscotti
- Zest Bakery | warm pumpkin polenta with goat cheese
- The Mommy Bowl | gluten-free bread
- Smith Bites | gluten-free celery root soup with cashew cream
- White on Rice Couple | Turkey Sloppy Joes on Rosemary Rolls
- What’s Gaby Cooking | gluten-free molasses cookies
- Kitchen Gadget Girl | gluten-free pumpkin strata
- Wasabimon! | gluten-free butternut squash pie
- Rookie Moms | chocolate peanut butter brownies
- Tiffin Tales | gluten-free Thanksgiving torte
- Adventures of a Gluten-Free Mom | gluten, dairy and egg free crescent rolls and cinnamon rolls
- Eat the Love | Gluten Free Maple Sweet Potato Cheesecake with Gingerbread Bottom
- Gluten-Free Doctor Recipes | gluten-free sourdough rosemary rolls and gluten-free mincemeat cookies
- The Art of Gluten-Free Baking | gluten-free pumpkin pie
- Sophisticated Gourmet | cranberry-almond-coconut macaroons topped with chocolate
- Cook 4 Seasons | gluten-free pumpkin mousse
- Cook It Allergy Free | Cornbread and (Shauna’s) Crusty Bread Stuffing
- Lexie’s Kitchen | dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, no-bake pumpkin pie filling
- Recipe Girl | an entire Thanksgiving menu, gluten-free
- Two Peas and Their Pod | gluten-free apple cranberry crisp
- Gluten-Free for Good | gluten-free cherry cobbler
- My Madeleine | butternut squash soup.
- The Sensitive Pantry | gluten-free brown sugar hand pies
- Art and Lemons | gluten-free rustic squash tarts
- Bellalimento | Gluten Free Pumpkin Roll with Mascarpone and Nutella Filling
- Mom Food Project | an entire Thanksgiving, gluten-free
- Gluten-Free Easily | candy carrot coins
- Dish Towel Diaries | kale Caesar slaw.
- A Baking Life | gluten-free gingerbread cake
- Glugle Gluten-Free | gluten-free pumpkin muffins
- Wenderly | sweet and savory prosciutto cups
- Cannelle Et Vanille | sweet potato and crabapple clafoutis
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free crescent rolls (1017)
- gluten free cinnamon rolls (841)
- gluten free thanksgiving (395)
- gluten free cinnamon roll recipe (300)
- gluten free crescent roll recipe (241)
- gluten free cinnamon rolls recipe (229)
- gluten free rolls (200)
- gluten free dairy free cinnamon rolls (126)
- pillsbury gluten free crescent rolls (116)
- gluten free cresent rolls (70)