The past two days have been a bit of a roller coaster ride for me as I’ve been preparing to set Luke up with a safe environment at preschool. Preschool is a dietary-restricted parent’s worst nightmare! Gluten and food allergens are EVERYWHERE and not just in the popular processed kid fare department (have I told you lately how much I hate Goldfish crackers??). 😉
After meeting Luke’s WONDERFUL new teacher yesterday, I found myself on a desperate scavenger hunt looking for:
- A gallon of Elmer’s Glue (one needs the gallon size for frequent “flubber” making and his school does not use Elmer’s glue, which I know is gluten-free. I haven’t heard back from the company that makes the School Smart brand of art supplies yet, but I will let you know the gluten-free status when I do),
- 400 Gazillion pounds of cheap rice flour (so I can make gluten-free, dairy-free play dough for the class),
- Frantically looking for a case of not too hideously expensive gluten-free oats for the “tactile stimulation table.”
$@*#! WHY DO THEY HAVE TO PUT GLUTEN IN EVERYTHING?!
Thank you for allowing me to get that off my chest, I feel much better now and I am ready to move forward with a smile on my face! 😀
The following recipe for dill dip is the one my mom made while I was growing up and even though it is naturally gluten-free, I tweaked it anyway to make it healthier (my husband is beginning to fear that I might “tweak” him next…and I just might at the rate I’m going!). 😉
I also make a dairy-free version of this dip for Luke, subbing out the sour cream with So Delicious plain coconut milk yogurt. The dairy-free version is sweeter tasting than the dairy version, but that’s just the nature of the beast. Luke likes it and that’s all that really matters, right?
3/4 cup Sour Cream (I now use Fage Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt which has 20 grams of protein per 8-oz. serving and is certified gluten-free).
3/4 cup Mayonnaise (I use a low-fat olive oil mayo, which has less than half the fat of regular mayo).
2 tsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
1 Tbs. Fresh Minced Onion
1 1/2 tsp. Dried Dill Weed (I grew up using dried dill weed, but just this summer I discovered that fresh dill is DEFINITELY the way to go! Dried dill really doesn’t have any taste whatsoever compared to fresh dill).
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight until the flavors develop.
- Serve with your favorite fresh-cut raw veggies and enjoy!
Serve with your favorite funny veggies!
The boys got a kick out of purple bell peppers this summer, Sam even developed an affinity for raw purple cauliflower (and the answer is no, Luke did not eat the purple cauliflower…he hid it in his underwear. Imagine my surprise during a potty training session)!
Whoever said fruits and veggies are boring, must never have been to a farmer’s market! 😀
A few other things:
- Kim from Cook It Allergy Free is doing a giveaway for Ricki Heller’s (of Diet, Dessert and Dogs) new cookbook, “Sweet Freedom,” which is filled with recipes for wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free and refined-sugar free treats! Did you know that Sweet Freedom is one of Ellen Degeneres’s recommended cookbooks? 😀
- Have you joined Dr. Rodney Ford’s new Facebook group, “Gluten Free Planet” yet? Come on, join the movement with me! 😉
- Cybele Pascal shared her recipe for Vegan and Soy-Free Chocolate Pudding on WholeLiving.com (Cybele’s recipe is also peanut and tree-nut free, unlike the recent recipe I shared using MimicCreme). Woo-Hoo! Chocolate pudding for everyone!
- Lastly, I am so unbelievably excited for a “mom’s weekend off” field trip that I am about to go on this Friday. I will be heading to Seattle to attend the International Food Bloggers Conference!
The best part for me is that many of my gluten-free blogging heroes will be there too, including a certain Gluten Free Girl and her Chef!!! As if that weren’t enough, on Sunday, Shauna and Danny will be preparing a delicious gluten-free meal for all the GF bloggers that are attending!!!!! I mean really, is that an opportunity of a lifetime or what?! 😀
Want to know who else is going to be there?
Shirley from Gluten Free Easily
Jeanne from Four Chickens
Kim from Cook It Allergy Free
Diane from The W.H.O.L.E. Gang
Carrie from Ginger Lemon Girl
Carol from Simply Gluten Free
Dr. Jean Layton from Gluten-Free Doctor Recipes
Wendy from Celiacs in the House
Melissa from Gluten Free For Good
Alexa from Lexie’s Kitchen
Karen from Cook4Seasons
Ali from The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen
Now, if only I can keep myself from being a total groupie…I better pack some paper bags in case I hyperventilate when I meet these phenomenal women (they are pretty much the equivalent of rock stars to me).
I will do a blog post giving you all the fun details and photos as soon as I return; but while I’m there, I will be sharing frequent updates on my Facebook page and on Twitter, so you will have to “Like” me and/or “Follow” me if you want to find out sooner if I make an *$$ out of myself! 😀
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free veggie dip (93)
- gluten free dips for veggies (60)
- gluten free dill dip (52)
- dill dip for veggies (46)
- dairy free dips for vegetables (31)
- gluten free dill dip recipe (27)
- gluten free veggie dip recipe (26)
- gluten free dip for vegetables (14)
- gluten free dill dip recipes (12)
- gluten free vegetable dip recipe (11)