On Saturday, I thought I would surprise my guys by trying to make a “real” sub sandwich. I think I came pretty darned close, thanks to Annalise G. Roberts, author of Gluten-Free Baking Classics.
The recipe is appropriately called “Submarine Sandwich Bread” and is on page 178. If you decide to buy this cookbook, you will also need a french bread pan to make the classic shape of the submarine roll.
The bread is really easy to make, my husband, whose idea of cooking is either on the grill or in a vat of oil, has even made bread in a french bread pan… and I think he is even better at it than me! This is the redeeming quality about GF bread, it takes significantly less time to make than it’s gluten containing counterpart because you do not “knead” (LOL!) to develop the gluten.
The deli meats I used for the sandwich are all Boar’s Head and they consist of low sodium turkey, low sodium ham, and Genoa salami. The cheese is provolone. My favorite add-in’s are lettuce, tomato, onion and banana peppers. I also used Boar’s Head brand Deli Dressing.
This was the first time I have ever had a GF sub. Now, I realize that my taste buds have changed over the years of being GF, but I would have seriously questioned it’s GF status had not made it myself! 😀
Thank you Annalise for such a wonderful cookbook!
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free hoagie rolls recipe (43)
- gluten free hoagie roll recipe (25)
- gluten free sub rolls recipe (19)
- gluten free sub roll recipe (8)
- annalise roberts bread recipe (8)
- gluten free submarine sandwich bread (6)
- gluten free submarine roll recipe (5)
- sub roll (5)
- gluten free bread hoggie rolls recipes (4)
- egg free gluten free submarine rolls recipe (3)