I love this soup and it is loaded with fiber and iron. My mom made this when I was growing up and now I make it for my own family. Even my very picky 2 year old will eat it… I presume it is the BACON!! The only thing that comes to mind when I think of the way Luke reacts to bacon is that Beggin’ Strips commercial with the dog running around saying “bacon, bacon, bacon!” 😉
Anyhoo, I have a photo copy of this recipe and it has a bar code on it, so I think it is from a can of Bush’s Best beans.
Hearty Bean Soup
2 #300 cans (I presume these are the 15.8-ounce cans) Bush’s Best Navy Beans, undrained (I couldn’t find Navy beans, so I used Great Northern)
3 slices Bacon
1/4 cup Green Pepper, chopped
1/4 cup Onion, chopped
1/2 cup Carrot, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 #303 can (I used a 14.5-ounce can) Diced Tomatoes
1 cup Water
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Sugar
2 tsp. Parsley Flakes
- Cook bacon in a large heavy skillet until crisp. Drain and set aside. Leave about 1 tablespoon of drippings in pan and add green pepper, carrot and onion and saute until soft. Add garlic and cook about 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes.
- Stir in beans with liquid, salt, peper, and sugar. Stir to incorporate. Add water.
- Simmer 30 minutes to one hour.
- Add crumbled bacon and parsley flakes. Cook 5 minutes more.
This soup is even better the next day when rewarmed.
I got a great idea from Kim over at Gluten Free Is Life, and I am now adding a salad every night with dinner. My boys love salad and will eat pretty much any vegetable with a little bit of Ranch dressing. I am also adding a fruit salad too. Last night the fruit salad consisted of blackberries, grapes, apples and kiwi. The salad additions are a tasty way to make sure my kiddos are getting proper nutrients, but the added fiber fills them up so they don’t immediately ask for dessert when dinner is over! 😀
Incoming search terms:
- bean soup made woith bushs navy beans (1)
- beans (1)
- gluten free hearty bean soup recipes (1)
- hearty bean soup (1)