I realize this is probably a no-brainer, but it actually just dawned on me not too long ago when Sam needed some Chex Mix for his “Friday Fun Snack,” that I could make my own gluten-free version! So just in case it has not occurred to someone else, I thought I would post the recipe here and make some replacement suggestions too!
Original recipe is in black, my gluten-free tweaks/thoughts are in red.
Original Chex Mix
3 cups Corn Chex Cereal (I used 4 1/2 cups Corn Chex to make up the difference from removing the Wheat Chex)
3 cups Rice Chex Cereal (I used 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex to make up the difference from removing the Wheat Chex)
3 cups Wheat Chex Cereal (If you are gluten-free, OMIT this entirely!)
1 cup Mixed Nuts (Substitution ideas: Sunflower Seeds, or here is a recipe for making roasted peas, (I would omit their seasoning all together and use the Chex Mix Seasoning instead so you don’t clash flavors!) You could also omit this entirely and bump up the quantity of the pretzels or something else, by making your own, you can customize!)
1 cup Bite-Size Pretzels (I used Glutino’s Gluten-Free Pretzel Twists)
1 cup Garlic-Flavor Bite-Size Bagel Chips or Regular-Size Bagel Chips, broken into 1-inch pieces (I am going to try and make my own, now that I can make a gluten-free bagel!! Another cool idea might be to make some gluten-free Goldfish Crackers to add-in)
6 Tbs. Butter or Margarine (I used Original Smart Balance in the tub, Earth Balance Buttery Spread is Dairy-Free and works just as well)
2 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins is gluten-free. Just found a recipe on how to make your own Worcestershire Sauce, I will have to try that!)
1 1/2 tsp. Seasoned Salt (here is a recipe to make your own “copycat” Lawry’s Seasoned Salt)
3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
- In a large bowl mix cereal, nuts, pretzels, etc., and set aside.
- In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt butter, margarine or dairy-free substitute, on high until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated.
- I baked mine in the oven, but you can click here for the microwave method.
- Heat oven to 250° F.
- Spread the uncooked Chex Mix evenly on a large ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread out on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes more.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nice occasional treat to set out during homework time or have for Family Game Night!
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free chex mix (1032)
- gluten free chex mix recipe (344)
- gluten free chex mix recipes (134)
- gluten free chex party mix (127)
- chex mix gluten free (109)
- is chex mix gluten free (89)
- CHEX MIX RECIPE GLUTEN FREE (69)
- how to make gluten free chex mix (53)
- chex mix (49)
- gluten free chex party mix recipe (41)