Okay, there is an upside to this recipe and a downside.
I will start with the downside. You will need celery juice.
You could buy it (just make sure it is GF) or if you are anything like me, you can dig out the gift your husband gave you a few years ago for Christmas…during your “juicing phase” that lasted all of a week. Right up until the moment your husband convinced you to drink a glass of beet/kale/carrot/tomato/apple juice because, “the apple juice hides the *tastes like dirt* flavor of the beets and kale.”
My husband is a liar. I drank apple flavored dirt. That was then end of my juicing phase. The juicer had been sitting in a box in the garage for 2 years until I resurrected it for this recipe, LOL!
GF Condensed Cream of Celery Soup
1 cup Gluten-Free Magic Mix
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/8 tsp. Celery Salt (optional, but I liked it)
3/4 Celery Juice (I have made this with the full 3/4 cup of celery juice, which was pretty strong. And also with 1/2 cup celery juice + 1/4 cup water, which was milder. Adjust to your personal taste, just be sure to use 3/4 cup of liquid).
- Add Magic Mix, onion powder and celery juice to a saucepan. Mix well. Turn heat to medium and stir constantly until the mixture thickens (this does not take very long).
Use one recipe of this for each can of Condensed Cream of Celery Soup called for in your recipe.
Comparison time (this is the upside):
So I have to comment further on this. I am actually glad I did not research Campbell’s version first or I would have tried to replicate it. When I first opened it (fully expecting at least a light green color), I was surprised at how yellow it was (remember, it has been MANY years since this product was used by me in a recipe). I then moved closer to smell it. Know what it smelled like? Glue. Wet wheat flour. I did not detect even a hint of celery! Huh?
So here is the good news I mentioned above. Since the Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Celery Soup does not smell like celery (as for taste, well, I just cannot tell you that. Nor will I ever be able to). I am assuming that you could also just saute some celery and fold it into a GF Magic Mix Cream Soup Base.
Gluten-Free Magic Mix Condensed Cream Soup Base:
I cup Gluten Free Magic Mix
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
3/4 cup water (remember, the Magic Mix has powdered milk in it)
- Mix everything together in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens.
- Measure out 10 3/4 oz. to use in all your recipes calling for condensed cream of celery soup.
Suggestions for GF Condensed Cream of Celery Soup (without the celery juice):
Add 1/8 – 1/4 tsp. Celery Salt or Celery Seed for added celery flavor
Fold in 1/4 cup sauteed celery.
- If you use this method, I would recommend making it the day ahead to allow the celery flavor to develop.
How I made celery juice:
I have the Breville BJE200XL 700-Watt Compact Juice Fountain, t is available on Amazon.com for $99.90 with free shipping. Breville makes a few juicers in different price ranges and you can read user reviews on Amazon.com. There are other brands of juicers too and you can see some samples here. Overall, Breville seems to rate among the highest with users and I agree, I absolutely LOVE mine (just not for the aforementioned juice blend)! Back in the fall, I started juicing apples to make the boys fresh apple juice. I have also juiced pears and grapefruit. If we manage to actually produce any tomatoes this year, I would like to make my own tomato juice for condensed tomato soup.
Check this out on the health benefits of celery juice from Natural News.com, and all these years I thought celery was as nutritious as Iceberg Lettuce!
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free cream of celery soup (134)
- is campbells cream of celery soup gluten free (96)
- gluten free cream of celery soup recipe (50)
- campbells cream of celery soup gluten free (37)
- is campbell\s cream of celery soup gluten free (35)
- gluten free cream of celery (30)
- gluten free condensed cream of celery soup (23)
- cream of celery soup gluten free (21)
- is cream of celery soup gluten free (20)
- magic mix (18)