Gluten Free 101: “Breakfast in Minute Casserole” (okay, so it’s more like an hour…but who’s counting when there’s cheese and ham involved?)

Disclaimer: Yes, that would be a Christmas plate you see in the photo above.  I’m not the most punctual person in the world.  (It ain’t always easy being gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and egg-free…and homeschooling…on top of just being a mom and everything else!). ;-)

With the weekend coming up, I thought I would kick off the dedicated Gluten Free 101 series by sharing a recipe from my youth.  My Aunt Maggie used to make this hot, ooey, gooey, cheesey breakfast casserole every time we would visit her, my Uncle Jerry and my cousins Tim and Brad in Brainerd, Minnesota when I was a kid.

It’s called “Breakfast in a Minute.”

Except, it’s not really ready not a minute.  More like 60.

Who comes up with these recipe titles???   B@$tards!

Okay, so it takes just a minute or two to prepare, but then you have to wait.  And wait.  And wait.  While the warm and savory, cheesey, ooey, gooey, hammy deliciousness tempts and teases you from afar.

Yes my friends, this baby takes one hour to bake in the oven, but if you cube the gluten free bread and the ham the night before (and buy shredded cheese) it really does only take about a minute to throw together.

So pour yourself a hot cuppa joe, grab the paper, sit back, relax (ask your hubby give you a shoulder rub…you ARE baking him up some pork fat and cheese, after all!) and get ready to enjoy a delicious and comforting gluten-free breakfast casserole with your entire family.

Okay, so this is when I miss cheese (and gluten free grains) the most.  Please enjoy a bite on my behalf, okay? ;-)

Breakfast in a Minute (or 60)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 60 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients

Directions

1. Grease a 9 x 13 pan.
  2. Spread bread and ham cubes evenly over the bottom of the pan.
  3. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
  4. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, milk, dry mustard and salt together with a whisk. Pour evenly over bread, ham and cheese mixture.
  5. Pour melted butter over the entire mixture and bake at 325 deg. F. for one hour. (see note)

Notes

Start checking on the casserole at 45 minutes, if the cheese is beginning to brown, cover casserole dish with a sheet of foil to prevent burning.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

Are you breathing any easier yet?
Being Gluten-Free ROCKS!!!
And it only gets better…when you’re ready for it. :-D

• gluten free breakfast casserole (352)
  • gluten free egg casserole (104)
  • gluten free breakfast casserole overnight (68)
  • Gluten Free Breakfast (28)
  • gluten free casserole (25)
  • gluten free breakfast casseroles (24)
  • dairy free breakfast casserole (21)
  • Gluten Free Overnight Breakfast Casserole (18)
  • breakfast (15)
  • gluten free breakfast casserole recipe (14)

Comments

1. Diane says:

Sounds great & easy…but how many eggs?

2. pops says:

Eggs are always good, and I just heard this morning that the Humane Society and the Egg Producers are lobbying congress to pass legislation for more humane egg production (ie. more room for the chick.)

3. Sheryll says:

You don't have to explain the Christmas plate! I call this my Christmas Brunch Casserole. And I put it together the night before, and let it set overnight in the fridge. I also fix an Overnight Coffee Cake. Then all I have to do Christmas morning is turn the oven on and throw both of them in and wait for the aroma! I have not tried either recipe gluten free yet. So – THANK YOU! for the new improved recipe! Keep up the good work! We're all loving it!

4. Susie Bowling says:

OMG, Heidi! You are homeschooling now too? Believe me, I know the feeling about running late on putting away the Christmas decorations. One year the fake Christmas Tree was still up at Valentine's Day at our house! With all that you do and all the wonderful support that you give to the GF community, give yourself a break! Love ya, Heidi. BTW, this recipe looks yummy!

5. Jeri says:

Looks delish…. when did you start homeschooling? I don't remember that.

6. Jeri,

I started homeschooling Sam at the beginning of this school year (August, 2011). HE was the one who wanted to do it, he had a really tough time with all his classmates knowing he had celiac "disease" (I really hate to call it a disease…because as long as he eats the right foods. (as you know)..he's HEALTHIER than the average Standard. American. Diet kiddo!).

Sam is really loving homeschooling but Luke is still in preschool and wants to go to kindergarten next year. All kids are different so I'm just going to follow their cues (for the time being anyway). ;-)

• Jeri says:

Oh, that's awesome. I've been homeschooling since 1998. I love it and have already graduated one.

• Jeri,

When did you quit feeling like you were going to somehow "fail" your child and just embrace the gift you were giving (each other)?

I'll admit, I'm struggling with this one.

• Jeri says:

I think your coming from a different reason you brought your child home than I. My children have never been to public school. We were already homeschooling several years before autoimmune issues entered our life. For me, it was a true calling. I’ve never regretted it. But after my daugter was diagnosed with type one diabetes I was so glad she was home. While I’ve not had lingering thoughts that I was failing my child, on those days that aren’t going well I fantasize what it would be like to have 7 hours a day to myself. I know my house would be cleaner. lol

The freedom that this has given us to explore our passions (because we have more time and flexibility) has been wonderful. We’ve taken some great family trips on our time.

The first year is always the hardest because you and your child are ‘de-schooling’ so to speak. I promise you will not fail your child. Create opportunities for him that will make wonderful memories for both of you.

7. Matt K says:

looks amazing, definitely going to give it a shot, thanks