Gluten Free Menu Plan – Week of January 2, 2012

Happy new year everyone!

I don’t know about you, but I am ready for summer.  The weather here in New Mexico has been perfect lately, sunny and in the mid-50’s!  I’m really getting the itch to get back in my garden and I just placed my order for onion plants today which will be a first time crop for me this year.

Have you ever grown onions before?  If so, what are your favorite varieties?

Monday: Ginger Steak Salad

Notes:  Be sure your soy sauce is gluten-free.  If soy is not allowed on your diet, you can use Coconut Aminos or try making your own soy sauce substitute (Celefibr Beef Bouillon is gluten and soy-free but it does contain corn).

Tuesday: Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken, Sauteed Zucchini, Salad with Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing

Wednesday: Baked Salmon, Roasted New Potatoes and Roasted Garlic Lemon Broccoli

Thursday:  Mexican Chicken and Rice* and Salad

Notes: For me (I avoid all grains), I will season a chicken breast with this Mexican Chicken Rub, replacing the white sugar with honey.  I will grill the chicken breast and serve on top of my salad with a little dairy-free Green Goddess dressing.

If corn and dairy are allowed on your diet, we used to love this recipe for Cheesy Mexican Chicken and Rice

Friday: Greek Style Skillet Supper* and Salad

Note: To make this grain-free, I will omit the pasta, reduce the amount of beef broth and use zucchini medallions instead.  I will also omit the feta cheese.

Saturday: Braised Short Ribs, Dairy-Free Mashed Potatoes and Roasted Green Beans

Sunday: Grilled Sea Bass, Garlic Sauteed Spinach and Roasted Sweet Potatoes

• gluten free meal plan (131)
  • gluten free weekly menu planner (27)
  • gluten free meal plans (27)
  • gluten free weekly meal planner (18)
  • planning gluten free menu (15)
  • weekly gluten free meal planner (12)
  • gluten free meal plan for 2 weeks (2)
  • gluten free one week meal plan (2)
  • gluten free dinners plan for 2 weeks (2)
  • daily meal plan for two year old with gluten and corn allergy (2)

Comments

1. Donna says:

I love reading your blog – it is so informative about the process of celiac disease and your recipes are just great! I have a question: you have been tested and have other allergens besides gluten. Is it because you were still sick that you were tested? Do you feel better now after avoiding all these allergens? Will you eventually be able to return to eating some of these things or is this a life long commitment? When I feel bad I want to be tested – when I feel good – I don't want to know. Is it worth it?

• Renee says:

Donna,

I have recently been tested and told I have celiac disease. I did get tested because i was feeling terrible and didn't understand why. My doctor only put me thru a few test before he decided this is what i had. The way i understand it is that you can find out thru blood work and an upper G/I. Pretty simple actually and not painful at all and the pain and confusion is all just about gone as long as i stick to the gluten free foods. It isn't easy trust me but it is worth it, you will know when you do eat something you shouldn't have and then you will be mad at yourself however knowing what is wrong with you in many different ways as it effects alot of things i had no clue of sure makes it a lot easier to handle. Good luck and go get tested you will not regret it.

2. I want to be at your house every week, Heidi. This menu looks phenomenal! Those guys of yours are very, very lucky! Happy New Year, girlie! :-)

xo,

Shirley

• Thanks Shirley, I'm pumped up for another healthy year and I love finding recipes that are naturally gluten free on mainstream recipe websites!

xoxo,

Heidi

• Michelle O says:

You know what Shirley…I think I need a wife like Heidi as well ;) I could handle it quite nicely if she was cooking for me and I agree her men are very lucky! But then again we are all very lucky because she shares all of her wisdom with us! What a great gift of friendship that I gladly take from both of you :)

3. You are amazing; your blog is so fabulous and I love viewing your amazing posts and recipes.

Happy New Year!

xoxo

4. Tracy Pfeiffer says:

Hi Heidi,

sounds yummy. What do you think about boiling the chicken? I only have chicken thighs, but I have only boiled chicken to make enchiladas and it seems odd to do it for the skillet. Just wondering. Happy New Year!!! Thanks, Tracy

5. Andrea Simard says:

My 8 year old will be having a small bowel biopsy next week to confirm a celiac disease diagnosis. She and her 11 year old sister both have Type 1 diabetes and use insulin pumps. I will be spending a LOT of time researching this more and changing the way we buy and eat this year. This blog looks friendly but also really informative, as I love to cook and entertain, but need some serious information. Thank you!

6. Jeri says:

Your weekly menu always looks so good. Do your little guys eat most/all of what you make? My dd13 has always been a picky eater and I thought she would outgrow it but for some reason when she comes to the dinner table she turns into the ‘terrible twos’.

Come to Southern California. It’s summer right now. It was 81 yesterday and it’s mid 70’s now.

7. Tracy Pfeiffer says:

Hey Jenn,
    we are in sunny so cal too! 82 today or higher, wow! I think I will look at the recipes for June’s menu and go from tehre. Thanks so much Heidi for all you do!

8. This menu looks wonderful. I could eat everything here and I LOVE that. I don’t eat gluten, dairy or soy but you’ve figured it out. Thank you!

9. Erin Andrews says:

I made the Ginger Steak Salad tonight and my WHOLE family LOVED it and asked for seconds! The kids are very picky and don't really care for steak and NEVER want to touch salad. Thanks for posting the link to that recipe! I highly recommend it!

• Yea! My kids loved the salad too, what steak cut did you use? I used skirt steak and I have to say, I may never go bake to filet mignon, soooo much more flavor (and a Lot cheaper!) :-)

Hugs,
      Heidi

• Erin says:

I used Sirloin Fajita meat. (whatever that means) It was the best looking thing at Central Market that was to ominous looking. ;) I think Flank Steak would work well too, that's what I normally would use. I also left out the Sherry (I didn't have any nor really know where to get some) and left out the jalapeño from the dressing (I'd love that but I didn't want it to be too spicy for the kids). I served some rice and cut up cantaloupe too and it was all SO good. Thanks again! Your meal plan this week is helping me be more adventurous in my cooking and branching out to try new things, and make the kids try them.

• Isn't exciting when you start to find naturally gluten free (and whatever else free) recipes that everyone can enjoy? To know that that recipe came from the Pioneer Woman herself and it only took one tiny modification to make it gluten free (GF Tamari vs. regular soy sauce)…the possibilities are ENDLESS for those of us on the gluten free diet and before you know it, you'll be saying…"bread? what's that?" (okay, maybe it will take a little longer than that, but it will happen!). :-D

10. Anita says:

Instead of soy sauce you can also use Bragg Liquid Aminos taste like soy sauce but without the gluten. It's made from soy (non-gmo soy, yea!) so if you have a soy allergy it's not for you.