Gluten Free Menu Plan – Week of January 16 (And a Few Other Things)

Well, my “wish it were spring” spring cleaning in the kitchen earlier this week helped me realize that my house would be brighter and more “idea-inducing” if my walls were a little lighter.

Makes sense, right?

So in typical ADHD Hurricane Heidi fashion, the last three days have seen multiple trips to Lowe’s, two five-gallon buckets of delightfully refreshing paint, primer, rollers, brushes, trays, tape, drop cloths, an exhausted and very dirty husband, and a partridge in a pear tree!

Add to that, I had my “big” annual blood draw on Friday and 11 vials of blood later (after fasting for 16 hours mind you), I was a wee bit lightheaded, LOL!

Celiac Followup Blood Tests

If you’ve been diagnosed with celiac disease, it’s important to have yearly followup blood tests to monitor your compliance with the diet – even if you think you are following the perfect gluten free diet.  Glutonium is kinda like Monsanto’s patented genetically modified seed, the crap just seems to blow in with the wind sometimes!

I also had to have my semi-annual thyroid tests (I no longer have a thyroid) to check how my current cattywompus hormone dosage is working out, I’ve been taking two different amounts of Levoxyl for the past 6 months, 150 mcg and 175 mcg (one every other day).  I also asked my doctor to check my liver function as well as my A1C and fasting blood sugar.  With 5 autoimmune disease under my belt already, I’m naturally concerned that I will develop more – Type 1 Diabetes and Autoimmune Liver Disease are the two that scare me most.

Here’s hoping that all the hard work I’ve put into my diet over the past year is working.  I’ll be honest though, I’m really scared to see the results…call it “Silent Celiac Paranoia.” :mrgreen:

So now you know why I haven’t been chatting away on my Facebook page and blogging over the past few days…and why my menu plan is not getting posted until 11:55 pm on Sunday night!

Gluten Free Weekly Menu Plan

(This menu plan is also naturally free of: Dairy, Eggs, Grains, and Soy)

Monday: Slow Cooker Chili and Salad

Tuesday: Pork Chops, Braised Cabbage and Cinnamon Apples* (see note)

*Note: I will use coconut sugar instead of the brown sugar.

Wednesday:  Kale, Cabbage, Bean and Sausage Soup and Salad

Thursday: Shrimp Lo Mein and Fruit Salad

Friday: Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs* (see note), Baked Sweet Potato Fries and Cole Slaw

Note: I will use homemade Gluten-Free, Corn-Free Worcestershire Sauce

Saturday: Ribeye with Garlic-Thyme Marinade, Roasted Carrots and Parsnips with Thyme and Salad

Sunday: Cayenne Lime Salmon, Braised Leeks and Salad

A Few “Just Gluten Free” Recipes You Might Enjoy

Crispy Chicken Nuggets

Chorizo and Potato Taquitos  – try making some Homemade Fresh Chorizo!

Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie

Gluten Free Salisbury Steak

Gluten Free Beer Battered Fish Fry (my husband is jonesing for me to make this for him – he was a diehard Long John Silver’s fanatic back in his glutonium days.  He’ll have to wait though because he’s been ordered back on the Modified Elimination Diet for a few weeks).

Have You Taken the Gluten in Medications Survey Yet?

Last November, the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) announced that it would conduct a first-of-its-kind research study on gluten in medications, funded by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). NFCA, partnering with St. John’s University College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, is conducting this research in two parts. The first part of the study is happening now: a survey of the celiac and gluten sensitive populations.

NFCA urges all people who are following a gluten-free diet to participate. Participants will be asked about their experiences taking medicine. They will also be asked to share information if they think they might have had a gluten-related reaction to an over-the-counter or prescription medicine. Results from the survey will guide the second phase of the study: our team will test some of the medicines identified in the survey to see if they contain gluten.

This critically needed preliminary research aims to validate or nullify the anecdotal adverse experiences associated with gluten in medications that have been reported by people with celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. It is a first step to determine if more investigation is needed, which may lead to additional research, labeling, and safe use guideline initiatives. More information about the Safe Use Initiative can be found at www.fda.gov/safeuseinitiative.

To participate in the this survey, please go to www.CeliacCentral.org/Survey. The survey takes between 4-15 minutes to complete.  It closes on February 28, 2012.

• sample gluten free weekly menu (16)
  • typical gluten free menu (12)
  • Gluten Free Menu for Week (9)
  • gluten free sugar free menu (5)
  • gluten and sugar free kids menues (4)
  • is levoxyl corn free (2)
  • gluten free sample menu (2)
  • long john silvers gluten free menu (2)
  • gluten free 1 week menu (2)
  • typical weekly gluten free menu (2)

Comments

1. Dennis says:

Geez, poor Mike

2. Alisa says:

Heidi,

I am so thankful for the great recipes you have shared. I am gluten, dairy, and corn sensitive with five kids who have various forms of those sensitivities. Thankful also for your positive outlook and wealth of information to share. Be encouraged that you are making a difference for others.

3. Alisha says:

When I was little(25yrs ago) I would fly to Florida to visit my grandmother every summer. She make Chip Chicken Bites all the time. I remember loving them, well really all of her food! I cant wait to make this for my daughter! Thanks for the reminder!

4. LisaB says:

I am waiting to hear back about my latest blood draw too. As the great Tom Petty has said, "the waiting is the hardest part."

5. moriah says:

Your painting escaped reminded me of my "bright" idea a few years ago. I thought it'd be great if our outdoor shutters were painted. My husband said, "No problem as long as you get them down." Of course, he thought he was in the clear. Oh no. When my son, who was in high school, had his friends over the following day I had the ingenious idea of asking them "If I bought you guys pizza would you get my shutters off the house?" I tell you what, you never seen boys work so fast and in no time, the shutters were down :) I'm sure the look of dread overcame my husband's face as he drove down the street on his way home from work that day for, at that point, he knew his day was not over. Long story short, once the shutters were repainted, we had to repaint the front door to match. My husband wanted to change the handle to have a dead bolt, which eventually led to us buying another front door (I then wanted one with windows). Once the shutters and front door were shining bright, I noticed the white front porch was looking a bit dull. So the porch had to be repainted. And then the trim on the house. And finally the storage shed to match the house. I cannot remember how long this all took, but I know it was just a couple of weekends and it was done. :) My husband has learned that if there's a will, I will find a way. And to beware of any of my 'bright' ideas… ahahaha

• Oh Moriah, thank you. I can't recall the last time I laughed so hard – you sound JUST. LIKE. ME.!

Several years ago when I was addicted to HGTV (it has since been parental control password protected from me), I came up with the GREAT idea of refinishing my kitchen cabinets (at our old house). Looked simple enough on the show I watching at the time…and they even got it done in 30 minutes! ;-) I took down all the cupboard doors and started sanding only to find out the doors weren't real wood, they were like an MDF particle board with a fake laminate covering!

Did I mention our house was on the market during this time? Um yeah, my hubby wasn't pleased with me, LOL!

Needless to say, this little bright idea of mine didn't take 30 minutes and my husband spent the next 2 weeks trying to fix "my bright idea." :-D

• Mike Kelly says:

Heidi's husband here. A special word of advice to all of the husbands out there: DO NOT EVER recommend minor changes of your home to your wife. These subtle ideas will quickly consume every spare moment of your time for AT LEAST two months until you have moved the garage from one side of the house to the other, put in stairs to a second floor that doesn't exist, and purchased a small tractor to turn your backyard into an English garden that the Queen herself would enjoy! Really, you think I'm joking…I've been a drummer my whole life, and I've never had callouses like this!

6. Sonya says:

Hey Heidi, I just wanted to say that my thyroid function got somewhat better when I was on the Levoxyl, but it wasn't until I switched to Tirosint (corn & gluten free – it's Levothyroxine in a glycerine base inside of a gelatin capsule) that things started to really improve. Just something to keep in mind if you are finding the larger doses of Levoxyl aren't quite doing the trick – your body could be fighting the trace amounts of food allergens found in the Levoxyl.

• Hi Sonya!

Thank you for the information on Tirosint, I will definitely talk to my endocrinologist about it at my appointment later this week! Which food allergens are found in Levoxyl? All I know is that I was told it is gluten and corn free, I honestly haven't inquired about anything else (afraid to find out – compounding is EXPENSIVE!).

• Sonya says:

Honestly, according to the company there aren't any. I called, twice. I can only say that I *believe* there is cross contamination with corn and/or gluten. Since my elimination diet last April, I never added gluten back into my diet so I couldn't tell you what my typical reaction to that might be (my girls eliminated just gluten last spring and we found they were SO sensitive to it, it seemed pointless for me to add it back into my diet, even if it wasn't an issue for me). My typical corn reaction is a lot of bone pain, particularly in my joints. The pain was milder when I was on Levoxyl and corn free in my regular diet but it was still a constant issue. I brought it up to my endocrinologist and said that if it didn't get better in the following month I would like her to write me a compounded rx for the levothyroxine. She immediately suggested I try the Tirosint first – her reasoning being it is always exactly the same dosage (w/compounding you need the same person filling the script ea time and even then there's a slight chance of uneven dosing and, as I'm sure you know, thyroid meds are one of those things that need to have super precise dosing) and it would be much cheaper than compounding. Within 2 days of starting the Tirosint my chronic pain was gone.

Yes, compounding is expensive. So far we've only had to get ibuprofen compounded and I keep my fingers crossed that we don't need antibiotics or anything else done, but I'm SO glad there is that option!

7. Allison says:

The GF Worcestershire recipe makes my heart sing! I found out about a month ago that I'm allergic (IgE) to pretty much all seafood, and he's ordered me to avoid everything. I've still used L&P (anchovies, d'oh), but I noticed that I got awfully gassy from it.

Looking forward to rounding up ingredients and making myself a batch of the homemade version!

(edit) Well, hell — from the comments on the recipe post, it seems I missed anchovies in the nola.com recipe. Going to still try it without to see if it works.

8. moriah says:

I think we are two peas in a pod. Could you imagine the stories our husbands would swap if they ever had the opp? Enjoy your kitchen and try to stay out of trouble… =)

9. Erin says:

I checked out the recipe for the sweet potato fries from Paula Deen, those look yummy! Will definitely be trying them!