I know what you are probably thinking, “Raw sweet potato chips, Heidi? Did your oven break?”
Notice I didn’t say raw sweet potato slices. Although, those are quite tasty too! Allergic to carrots? Cut raw sweet potatoes in the shape of carrot sticks and dunk in your favorite veggie dip, you just might be surprised.
Rest assured my friends, these are definitely chips off the old block. Only they’re better for you because they are not fried in polyunsaturated fats like corn, canola, safflower, soybean or sunflower oil (when these oils are subjected to high heat, they tend to oxidize and become rancid, forming free radicals. You can read more about this on Mercola.com).
Which means you can eat the entire batch yourself and not feel guilty!
Even my husband (who is a salt junkie and therefore a chip connoisseur) liked these chippy chips quite a bit, in fact, he ate the entire bowl!
April in the Raw is an enticing blog event going on over at Real Sustenance. Everyday this month, 29 food bloggers are sharing simple ways you can incorporate more raw foods into your diet. Be sure to read Brittany’s explanation of Why Raw? to learn more about the health benefits of raw foods.
Raw Sweet Potato Chips
2 medium Sweet Potatoes, washed and peeled
2 – 3 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
1/8 tsp. Chipotle Chile Powder* (see below for more seasoning variations)
- After washing and peeling the sweet potatoes, set your mandoline to the thinnest slicing option. Using the guard, slice the sweet potatoes then place in a medium bowl (I have a Swissmar Borner Mandoline and I love it, it’s fairly inexpensive and super sharp…and YES, use the guard so your nickname doesn’t become nubby)
- Pour oil over potatoes and toss with your hands until all the potato slices are coated in oil.
- Sprinkle potatoes with seasonings, toss again.
- Lay potato slices on the dehydrator screens and set temperature to 105 – 115° F.
- Allow to dehydrate for 12 – 18 hours, or until desired crispness is achieved (the amount of time you will need to dehydrate will also depend on how thick the potato slices are).
- Store in an airtight container.
- 1 Tbs. Herbes de Provence + 2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt + 1 – 2 tsp. Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 1 – 2 tsp. Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 1 – 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
In case you missed yesterday’s April in the Raw post, be sure to visit Gluten Free Gigi for some yummy Raw Nut-Free Fudge. Tomorrow, check in with my dear friend Kim for something (amazing, no doubt) over at Cook IT Allergy Free.
What are your ideas for additional sweet potato chip flavor combinations?
Incoming search terms:
- raw sweet potato chips (212)
- raw sweet potato (201)
- sweet potato chips (63)
- sweet potato chips dehydrator (35)
- raw sweet potatoes (30)
- sweet potato raw (24)
- potato chips (24)
- dehydrator sweet potato chips (7)
- yam chips dehydrator (7)
- sweet potato raw chips (6)