I’ve teamed up with 9 other gluten-free bloggers to help Katie Chalmers, author and illustrator of the new children’s book, Mommy, What Is Celiac Disease? give away 10 holiday gift bags filled with all sorts of gluten-free treats and trinkets, including a signed copy of her book!
The following bloggers will also be hosting The Gluten-Free Holiday Giveaway Galore x10!, which will run from Wednesday, December 1 thru Wednesday, December 15th, 2010:
Accustomed Chaos | hosted by Devan
Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom | hosted by Me
Be Free For Me | hosted by Kathleen
Celiac Family | hosted by Heather
Gluten Free Betsy | hosted by Betsy
Gluten Free Easily (gfe) | hosted by Shirley
Gluten Free is Life | hosted by Kim
Gluten Free Philly | hosted by Michael
Gluten Free Taste of Home | hosted by Cinde
Simply Sugar & Gluten Free | hosted by Amy
But before I give you the giveaway details, please allow me to tell you about this wonderful book!
Mommy, What Is Celiac Disease? has a refreshingly positive message throughout and the pictures are simply stunning. Katie began writing the book when one of her twin daughters, Morgan, was diagnosed with celiac disease in 2008, just a few months after Katie herself was diagnosed with celiac.
Morgan, the inspiration for the little girl in the book, is a silent celiac, meaning she had no obvious physical symptoms to indicate something very serious was occurring inside her little body. Morgan was only diagnosed after Katie’s doctor suggested she have her twin daughters screened (to read more of Katie and Morgan’s story, click here).
I read the book from two perspectives. One, as the celiac mom of a celiac child and the other, as a little girl who had silent celiac disease too, but wasn’t lucky enough to be diagnosed at such a young age, before the more serious health consequences had a chance to grab hold of me. Oh how I wish I could have been as lucky as the little girl in this book! 😀
The story unfolds as Mother and daughter are taking a walk in the park on a beautiful autumn day. Mommy needs to tell her little girl she has just been diagnosed with celiac disease and that life is going to be changing just a bit. Without skipping a beat, mom comfortingly reassures her daughter that everything is going to be okay, as she creatively explains what celiac disease is and how gluten hurts her little body even if it doesn’t make her look or feel sick when she eats it. Mom goes on to emphasize all the wonderful aspects that a major lifestyle change like this can bring, like having fun in the kitchen!
What I liked most though about this unique new book for kids with celiac, is how Katie touches on a very important issue, one that is so near and dear to my heart, the importance of inclusion and support from our loved ones. Katie offers some GREAT advice for family and friends of a newly diagnosed child, whom she refers to as ‘Supporters,’ on her website and I think it is a must-read for everyone, click here to go directly to the page.
I read the book to my gluten-free kiddos and I could tell by the look in my 7 year old’s eyes, and the questions it prompted from him, that the book helped Sam better understand how gluten affects his body (he loved how Katie illustrated what the small intestine looks like!).
**This giveaway is now closed**
One winner will be chosen from each of the 10 participating blogs and each winner will receive the following (*Contents may vary slightly):
- Signed copy of Mommy, What is Celiac Disease?
- Schar 123 Milly PlayMais- dice game & biodegradable natural toy activity brick set
- Schar Products: Cheese Bites, Chocolate -or- Vanilla Sandwich Creme Cookies, Hazelnut Wafers
- Pamela’s Products: Single Serve Pancake Mix, Single Serve Brownie Mix, Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chunk Cookie two-pack, Tablespoon/teaspoon measuring spoon, kids sized t-shirt (color will vary)
- Nature’s Path: Peanut Butter Panda Puffs & crispy rice bars- flavors will vary, $1 off coupons
- Mary’s Gone Crackers: one of the following: box of cookies –or– crackers –or– Sticks & Twigs
- Snyder’s of Hanover: bag of gluten-free pretzel sticks
- Chebe: pizza crust mix –or– all purpose bread mix
- Bob’s Sweet Stripes: one bag of soft peppermint candy sticks
- Stuffed teddy bear (colors may vary)
- Holiday pencils, eraser, holiday notepad & plastic snowman cereal bowl
- Large holiday gift bag & small holiday gift bag & tissue paper (will need to be assembled to give as gift)
**Please visit Katie Chalmer’s website (click here) for additional qualifications and the contest rules.**
To enter for a chance to win the giveaway being hosted here at Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom, simply leave a comment to this post telling me:
Why would you like to win this giveaway?
Bonus Entry Opportunities do one or all of the following (strictly optional), then leave a comment to this post telling me which task(s) you completed (you will receive one bonus entry per completed task). **Please be sure to leave a separate comment for each completed task, as this is how I keep track of entries.
- ‘Like’ Mommy, What Is Celiac Disease? on Facebook
- ‘Follow’ @Katie Chalmers on Twitter
- ‘Like’ Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom on Facebook
- ‘Follow’ @adventuresgfmom on Twitter
- ‘Tweet’ about this giveaway and include a link to this post (be sure to include @adventuresgfmom and @KatieChalmers in your tweet).
- ‘Share’ this giveaway on your Facebook Page (be sure to TAG Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom and Mommy, What is Celiac Disease in your update)
- Mention this giveaway on your blog and include a link back to this post.
Using the Random Number Generator I will pick the winner on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 10pm EST.
I will announce the winner on my blog on Thursday, December 16th.
Good Luck! 😀
Incoming search terms:
- www tube galore com (5)
- mom tube galore (3)
- www mom-galore com (3)
- katie chalmers celiac (2)
- exposed mom gf (2)
- www tube galore free (1)
- galore mom (1)
- free holidays giveaway (1)
- free December holiday images (1)
- eating gluten free how much galorie (1)