First thing first. “Alfredo” is probably not the right word for this sauce, at least not in a technical sense because it lacks one of the most important components of a true Alfredo sauce…Parmesan cheese (shhh…it also lacks the butter and heavy cream, but I won’t tell if you won’t tell).
When my husband and oldest son first tried the noodles, they both simultaneously quipped, “they taste like Lipton Noodles and Sauce!” Ah, yes, I remember those noodles, they were favorite of mine growing up and became a major dietary staple for me in college. Seriously, now that I know I’ve had celiac for at least 25 years…HOW on earth was I able to eat all that processed gluten-filled junk and NOT suffer from GI issues?? It never ceases to amaze me just how sneaky gluten sensitivity can be. But, I digress.
This is a relatively quick and easy meal to prepare, assuming you have some cashew cream cheese already made up (or you can easily use Tofutti cream cheese if soy is not on your “no” list). The first time I made the dairy-free Alfredo pasta (above photo), I kept it plain and simple. I have since been adding various steamed or roasted veggies, grilled chicken and have even tossed in some smoked salmon. My once again super picky 3 year old will eat the smoked salmon but throw the chicken on the floor for our dogs, go figure.
Dairy-Free Alfredo Sauce (adapted from this highly rated recipe I found on AllRecipes.com)
1/2 cup Earth Balance Butter Spread (Ghee might also be a good choice for those who are on a casein-free diet)
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 cups So Delicious Original Coconut Milk
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
- Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth.
- Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in pepper.
- Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long.
- Toss with hot pasta to serve.
The pasta in the above photo is Glutano’s Tagliatelle, which has been discontinued (I bought several cases a couple years ago when I heard it was going away). Good news though, Schar has a gluten-free Tagliatelle too.
Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chicken Marsala (adapted from another highly rated recipe on AllRecipes.com)
1/4 cup of your favorite Gluten-Free Flour, for coating (I used Better Batter All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
4 skinless, boneless Chicken Breast Halves
4 Tbs. Earth Balance (if you cannot have corn, just use oil instead)
4 Tbs. Olive Oil
1 cup sliced Mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas)
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup Dry Sherry
- In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, melt butter replacement in oil over medium heat (or just heat all oil, I love to use Sunflower and/or Grapeseed oil).
- Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown on both sides, remove from pan, place on a plate and set aside.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms to the hot pan, cook through (click here for a video tutorial on How to Saute Mushrooms).
- Return cooked chicken to the pan (make sure the pan is still very hot, if not, turn the heat back to medium-high).
- Add the Marsala wine and dry sherry to the hot pan to deglaze and pick up all the yummy stuff stuck on the bottom of the pan. (Tyler Florence has a short video tutorial on glazing that you can view here, just ignore the part about the flour)!
- Cover skillet; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear (I like to use a thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165° F.).
Does your family have a favorite easy weeknight gluten-free and/or allergy-friendly meal?
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free chicken marsala (435)
- dairy free alfredo sauce (212)
- chicken marsala gluten free (79)
- gluten free chicken marsala recipe (69)
- dairy free chicken alfredo (39)
- flourless chicken marsala (33)
- gluten free dairy free alfredo sauce (27)
- dairy free gluten free alfredo sauce (25)
- gluten free dairy free pasta recipes (24)
- is chicken marsala gluten free (19)