It has been hot in New Mexico, and I mean Hades hot!
The temperatures have been hitting the low 100′s and that is unusual for New Mexico this time of year. The heat is getting to me and I have found myself being lazy in the kitchen, and with the laundry, and with the, oh you get my point. Just give me a pool floaty and some sunscreen please.
Hot days like these are made for the swimming pool and eating cool foods and beverages. I live on fresh fruit and salads in the summertime, and I drink a lot of water. Sometimes though, I want a little zip to my water. Lemons and Limes are often what I use for a little something different but I just discovered how to make “Aguas Frescas” at home.
Aguas Frescas, or “fresh waters” are water infused with fruits, flowers, grains or seeds. In Mexico, street vendors line the markets with barrel-shaped jars filled with these refreshing beverages. If you have ever heard of Horchata, that is an agua fresca made with rice and cinnamon.
I found the following recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications, Ultimate Mexican edition, which is on newstands until July 13th. This is the same magazine where I found the Churros recipe. There are A LOT of naturally gluten-free recipes in this magazine and those that are not, are easily adaptable, like the churros! I am in the process of making the recipe for Pulled Pork Enchiladas (p. 25) and the only substitution I am making is corn tortillas for the flour tortillas.
Strawberry Agua Fresca
6 cups fresh Strawberries, hulled and halved (I did not hull mine)
4 cups of Cold Water
1/4 cup fresh squeezed Lime Juice
1/4 cup Honey (I used 1/8 cup, or 2 Tbs. of Local Honey and 1/8 cup of Stevia Extract In The Raw)
Whole Fresh Strawberries
- In a blender (I used my Vitamix), combine half of the halved strawberries and half of the cold water. Cover and blend well.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher or large glass jar. Discard Solids.
- Repeat with remaining strawberries and remaining water.
- Stir in lime juice and the 1/4 cup honey. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.
- Serve in ice-filled glasses, garnish with fresh strawberries.
- If desired, sweeten to taste with additional honey.
Makes 6 servings.
The Strawberry Agua Fresca is delicious and refreshing. Perfect for a hot summer’s day. I bet these would make great popsicles too!
Incoming search terms:
- agua fresca (45)
- strawberry agua fresca (23)
- aguas frescas (19)
- vitamix recipes gluten free (5)
- celiac drinks vitamix (4)
- celiac vitamix drinks (4)
- gluten free recipes for vitamix (4)
- vitamix gluten free blogs (3)
- chicken salad vitamix (3)
- vitamix recipe gluten egg free (3)