Nu-World Amaranth Food Plant Shut Down

I just saw this news clip posted to the Celiac Listserv and want to share the link to the news story about Nu-World’s Iowa “plant” being shut down.  If you buy Nu-World’s Amaranth, I strongly urge you to watch the news story.

Update 7/19/10:  Please read the comments to this post, there is more information to consider.

• nu world amaranth (100)
  • nu-world amaranth (37)
  • nu world foods (30)
  • nu-world foods (19)
  • nuworld foods (7)
  • susan walters flood (5)
  • nu world foods amaranth (5)
  • nu world foods president (3)
  • nu world amaranth relationship to conagra (3)
  • NU-WORLD FOODSE (3)

Comments

1. Whoa … that IS disturbing! Hearing that makes me grateful that I have not yet tried amaranth. So much goes on behind closed doors with our food. Hard to believe it took this long for the news to come out.

Thanks for sharing this, Heidi.

Shirley

• I haven't seen their products on store shelves in a while either. I tried the cereal a few years ago but didn't care for it, it had a funny texture to me.

Shirley, I am in shock at how long Nu-World went under the radar and it is scary to think of all we still don't know in regards to our food. It really worries me with all the new gluten-free foods coming to market and especially after Paul Seelig and Great Specialty Products in North Carolina. Have you read the latest on him? http://www.celiac.com/articles/22158/1/Paul-Seeli

2. Cara says:

I have not been seeing their products for a while. It is too bad, I really enjoyed them a few years ago. Sounds like it has gone down hill.

3. I've been buying amaranth at my bulk food store. I should get more informed about it's source.

4. Linda R says:

The plus side of this is that I had never heard of amaranth until this story came out, even though I've had to live gluten free for the past 5 years now. Every time I learn of a new gf food, my life gets a little bit easier. :o)

5. Jenny says:

I read this yesterday! Crazy, but a good reminder to do some research on your products.

6. James S says:

There is more to this story than meets the eye. Don't believe everything you read or see. The company in question, contrary to this news report, is running with all the proper certifications. The location filmed is a storage facility that is shut down.

7. I am Susan Walters – Flood, President of Nu-World Amaranth, because we, like you, are committed to the gluten-free community and we understand the recent concern about the quality of our gluten-free, allergen-free products.

Please know that in the 27 years we have been producing GF products always the safety and integrity of our products have been of prime importance.

We would like to share with you a more accurate picture of who we are and our dedication to providing quality foods for you. Please click here for important facts about our company and to see pictures of who we really are… http://www.nuworldfamily.com

susan

mother of three… passionate about gluten free and healthy

• Susan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and to better explain this news clip, that is quite admirable in my book.

Heidi

• DJ says:

This report does damage to the allergen free food industry and adds more fuel for the nuts out there screaming cross-contamination. Your link provides information that suggests but does not actually state that the Nu-World plant is GMP certified.

8. Kim says:

I was going to post that I have seen an update to that link, but I see that Susan posted here. Always good to see both sides of the story. Kudos to you, Susan, for keeping us apprised of the situation.

Kim

9. Pam says:

I worked for that company two years ago and quit over their complete lack of concern over safety and integrity of their products. We watched one day as the owners and plant manager stood around a tub of product looking for something that fell into it and then they had the manager TAKE OFF HIS SHOES AND CLIMB INTO THE PRODUCT! I said to them, "Certainly you are going to throw that tub out!?" They stared at me and we proceeded to process it.