So, a couple of weeks ago I got a recipe in my email inbox from another one of my favorite new blogs, “Snack Girl.” I LOVE Lisa’s blog and encourage you to check it out! It is not a gluten-free blog, but many of her recipes are easily adaptable to be gluten-free. She also does a lot of healthy snack product reviews, some are GF, some are not, but you can get some really great ideas either way! If you subscribe to Snack-Girl.com, Lisa will send you a free list of “30 Healthy Snacks for under 100 Calories.” To read more about Lisa, click here.
Anyway, back to the email I received with her latest post (at the time); which was intriguingly titled, “Do NOT Be Afraid of this Vegetable – In Season Now and Yummy.” The title of Lisa’s post proved to be somewhat ironic for our entry into the world of artichokes. While there is indeed no reason to fear the vegetable itself (they are delicious), depending on your taste preferences, you might want to consider proceeding with caution!
But I will get to that in a minute.
The day I received the recipe, also happened to be my CSA box delivery day and inside were four artichokes! What perfect timing because I had honestly NEVER made or consumed a fresh artichoke before! I am however, a big fan of hot, cheesy artichoke dips, but they aren’t exactly what you would call “healthy!” All things in moderation, right?? Yeah, lets move on…
Artichokes are high in fiber and are a good source of antioxidants, folate, magnesium and potassium; click here to learn more great nutritional information on this fascinating veggie!
Snack Girl’s Recipe for Artichokes with a Lemon Butter Dip <– Visit Lisa’s site for a link to a video tutorial on How to Prepare an Artichoke).
2 medium Artichokes
1 Tbs. Butter (I used something I’ve newly discovered… Organic Valley’s Pasture Butter, which I found at my local Whole Foods. This is a seasonal product and is not available year-round).
1/4 of a Lemon (I used 1/2 of a small Lemon)
1 clove minced Garlic
- Cut stem off at base.
- Cut off top 1/3 of each artichoke.
- Place artichokes in microwave-safe bowl, base down, and add 1/2 inch of water to the bowl.
- Cover and microwave for 8 minutes (depending on your microwave).
- Let stand for 1-2 minutes before uncovering. Check to see if leaves easily detach from artichoke. If not, place artichokes back in microwave for another minute.
- Place butter in small bowl.
- Squeeze lemon into the bowl and add garlic.
- Microwave for 10 seconds until butter is melted.
- Rip leaf off of artichoke and dip in sauce. (Proceed with caution before placing in your mouth, see below, LOL!)
- Place the leaf with the inside facing up (inside of leaf was facing inside of artichoke).
- Scrape sauce and artichoke with your teeth.
- When done with leaves eat the artichoke base – it is the best part!
The above recipe belongs to Lisa at Snack-Girl.com and the following photos are my contribution (just please don’t get mad at me at the end, and if you are eating right now, stop. ).
Now for the Lemon Butter Dipping Sauce:
And there you have it… well, almost. I had better share with you why I said to “proceed with caution” before just digging in (warning: this is gross):
So the moral of this story is this: “Do Not Be Afraid Of This Vegetable” BUT “Do Proceed with Caution!”
There is also an important “hidden” lesson here… this is an Organic Artichoke… no chemical pesticides to drive off the occasional “visitors” (it happens)! I am not sure what kind of worm this is (anyone know?) but I found this website that made me a little more thankful for seeing this little guy (before he ended up in my mouth!).
I was going to throw the entire artichoke away but funny thing happened (it’s called a b.o.y.!), Sam wanted to eat the artichoke that had been home to the worm (not the worm itself, thank God). So, I just took off several rows of leaves from the bottom and let him go for it (whatever works, right?).
Ahh, motherhood… never a dull moment!
Thanks for this recipe Lisa, the lemon butter sauce was AWESOME! We will most definitely be making these again soon.
Incoming search terms:
- artichoke butter dipping sauce (69)
- steamed artichoke dipping sauce (63)
- algo-timewarner_if (41)
- artichoke dipping sauce butter (34)
- steamed artichokes dipping sauce (20)
- butter dipping sauce for artichokes (19)
- lemon butter sauce for artichokes (16)
- artichoke dipping sauce recipe (9)
- how to make lemon butter sauce for artichokes (9)
- steamed artichoke dipping sauce recipes (9)