I’ve already posted one recipe for gluten-free flour tortillas (from Living Without Magazine) that are really good, only the day after they are made. Fresh off the griddle, they are not all that bendable, but after storing them in a Ziploc bag overnight they soften right up and work really well.
Then I met my new BFF, Better Batter Gluten Free Flour!
I have been experimenting like a mad woman with my new BFF that I got last week, which is one of the reasons I have been slacking on my blog, I can’t stop cooking.
Anyhoo, I am already 3/4 of the way through a 25 lb. bag of flour.
In a week.
I am very thankful for Sam and Luke’s teachers and Mike’s co-workers for being my taste test subjects, because otherwise, I would be up to my ears in baked goods and it is only January 18th. Too soon into the new year to start gaining weight!
The Batter Batter tortillas are simply AWESOME!! Right off the griddle. In fact, they are best if you eat them right away.
3 cups Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
4-6 Tbs. Shortening (I used 6 Tbs. Spectrum Shortening, which is organic and non-hydrogenated)
About 1 1/2 c warm water
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
- Divide into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a little ball and dust with more flour.
- Heat up a skillet or iron to 350 degrees.
- Working quickly, roll each ball out into a circle, about 6-8 inches wide. (I used the same method I did on the other tortilla recipe I posted. I rolled out the dough then used a saucepan lid to make a perfect circle).
- Fry for about 15-30 seconds, flip and cook for about 10 seconds more. (I cooked mine on a griddle, like you would a pancake. I put about 1/2 tsp. Spectrum shortening on the hot griddle first so the tortillas wouldn’t stick)
- Use immediately.
Here is a video clip on how to make homemade flour tortillas. I wanted to post this to show you the air pockets/bubbles that occur when making gluten flour tortillas. The Better Batter tortillas got the same HUGE air pockets!
Do you think it is GMO Soy? I don’t know, it is not labeled. Fully and Partially Hydrogenated oils! And what is TBHQ? It “enhances” storage life. So if I eat it, will it “enhance” or preserve my stomach too? It might not be a bad thing to eat if you want to be a mummy.
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free flour tortillas (119)
- Gluten Free Tortilla Recipe (65)
- gluten free flour tortilla (35)
- gluten free tortillas recipe (29)
- potato flour tortilla recipe (27)
- best gluten free tortilla recipe (27)
- potato flour tortillas (15)
- best gluten free flour tortilla recipe (15)
- crisco (14)
- better batter flour (13)