I have tried for years to find a gluten-free sugar cookie recipe that I could cut the dough into holiday shapes and bake them without the dough either tearing apart, or spreading so much in the oven that all 6 separate cookies merged into one giant undesirable blob. I found a wonderful recipe last year but of course I did not save it so I have absolutely no idea how to make them again! Grrr…
So, after trying out about 13 different flour combinations from various recipes, I landed on the Land O’Lakes recipe for Star Cut-Out Cookies. First, I made the recipe as it is written but found the dough to be a bit difficult to work with. The dough seemed a little too “wet” and the cookies did not hold their shape as well as I would have liked, but the overall taste and texture was really good. So I thought that the flour blend might really work well in my mom’s recipe that uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar (I was hoping the powdered sugar would absorb some of the excess moisture). My mom also always added a little almond extract which I absolutely love!
The following is the recipe I used and I am extremely pleased with the results. If you have a favorite sugar cookie recipe of your own, you might want to try subbing this GF flour blend for the gluten version!
Flour Blend *inspired* by the Land O’Lakes recipe:
2 cups Superfine Rice Four (I tried this with Superfine White Rice Flour in one version and Superfine Sweet Rice Flour in the other and there was no discernible taste difference, but I highly recommend getting superfine rice flours, there is no grittiness in the end product!).
2/3 cups Potato Starch
1/3 cup Tapioca Starch (I used Expandex)
1 tsp. Xanthan Gum
Gluten Free Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
1 cup Butter (or Non-Dairy Substitute)
1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp. Almond Extract
2 1/2 cups GF Flour Blend (see above)
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a medium bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) add butter and powdered sugar, beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, add GF flour blend, baking soda and cream of tartar. Use a whisk to incorporate all of the ingredients (as added insurance, I then sift all of the dry ingredients to make sure everything is well blended).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (you can also make this well ahead of time and freeze until needed).
- Roll out the dough and cut into desired shapes. Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges.
Six hours experimenting with dough, one hour of sugar induced pandemonium, some great video of a couple of jacked up boys running, rolling, and giggling, two hours of clean-up and the mother of all baths…priceless!
Incoming search terms:
- gluten free cut out cookie recipe (104)
- gluten free sugar cookies (72)
- gluten free sugar cut out cookies (49)
- gluten free sugar cookies cut out (42)
- gluten free sugar cookie cutouts (32)
- gluten free cut-out sugar cookies (21)
- gluten free cut out sugar cookies recipe (21)
- gluten free sugar cookie recipes (20)
- best gluten free cut out cookie recipe (19)
- gluten free sugar cookies rice flour (18)