Okay, so this is a work in progress but I wanted to show that it is possible, I just need to find the right noodle!
Sam’s school does a neat little thing every Friday called Friday Fun. On Fridays, they make/cook a snack and at the end of the year the kids will have a little cookbook of all the recipes for the year. Sam’s teacher sends home the recipe early each week and I try to make Sam a GF carbon copy of the ingredients needed or find an acceptable substitute.
A few weeks ago, they made Butterscotch Haystacks. Quick Note: Toll House Butterscotch Chips ARE NOT gluten free. Kroger makes a generic butterscotch chip that IS gluten free. Butterscotch Haystacks are a candy and they are usually made with chow mein noodles. There are also recipes that use pretzels and that was what I ended up doing because I was short on time. I subbed Glutino GF Pretzel Sticks for the chow mein noodles.
The chow mein noodles have been bugging me though. I have been mulling over ideas on how to make my own GF chow mein noodles, and have tried frying up rice vermicelli noodles, (like the puffy noodles that PF Changs uses in their GF Lettuce Wraps) which worked as far as little noodles were concerned but they are too fragile to hold up to the hot butterscotch.
Yesterday, I found some short rice/corn spaghetti noodles by Orgran and thought I would try those. Once again, they worked but the corn in the noodle gave the GF chow mein a distinct popcorn flavor! They are really good but not quite the La Choy Chow Mein noodles that I remember. I am going to keep experimenting but wanted to show the process just in case you are in need of GF chow mein noodles and want to experiment!
Make your own GF Chow Mein Noodles
- Heat canola oil until hot enough for deep frying. Toss in dry noodles (I did not boil mine beforehand).
- The noodles will puff up and float to the top, remove with a spider skimmer or large slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Store in an airtight container.
Incoming search terms:
- do chow mein noodles have gluten (54)
- la choy chow mein noodles gluten free (42)
- gluten free haystacks (32)
- GF chow mein noodles (24)
- does chow mein have gluten (18)
- does chow mein noodles have gluten (17)
- gluten free haystack recipe (12)
- gluten free haystack cookies (10)
- do chow mein noodles contain gluten (10)
- is chow mein noodles gluten free (9)